Life of A Medical Technology Student

9/22/2018


How does it feel like to be a medical technology student? 

You would not want to know but if you are ready to take the challenge, then just enjoy everything that comes with it. If I say everything, I literally mean EVERYTHING because you need to be resilient in order to survive.
So before I step into another chapter of my life, I want to look back and pay tribute to my Alma Mater. Here's the list of the best and worst memories I will never forget as a medical technology student of Velez College:

The moment when I was so excited and got disappointed by the very long line going to EMVM Hall
School year 2011-2012 was the last school year when no entrance exams were given to aspiring medical technologists. I heard that the course was difficult so I wasn't expecting for many students to enroll.


When my patience paid off after being enrolled to the "dream course" 
I got enrolled on the second day though, but still, dreams do come true. I was finally a medical technology student. BSMT 1-H!! (Sayawan na, mga beshies!)


Got lost around the school campus on my first day 
This is one of the embarrassing things a new student could ever experience on his or her first day in school. Also, I thought that TBA room exists until I found out that it means 'To Be Announced'. 


Bringing yellow pad on the first day of school is definitely a life saver 
Yellow pad is a must-have on the first day and until the day I graduated college. I swear. Since study loads aren't usually ready yet, giving the instructor a 1/2 sheet of yellow paper with my name, section, and ID number saved my day. 


The surreal feeling of wearing the college uniform 
It used to be the best feeling in my world, but now, it's part of history.


The very first Chemistry laboratory experiment and I don't know most of the symbols of every element in the periodic table 
I could still remember that day when I didn't know the symbol for phosphate was. I was so scared to ask the instructor because she presumed that we mastered the symbols. Ten minutes had passed and still, I have no idea so I ended up asking her to start the experiment. (P.S. Know your elements, guys.)


Trying to act like 'I know how to turn-on the Bunsen burner' 
Since I enrolled in a science course, the instructor expected that I know how to operate the Bunsen burner. Thankfully, I didn't burn my eyebrows. (Tip: Better ask help or assistance if you don't know how to avoid this.)


The first question and answer portion and I stuttered 
Just imagine lining up and you see all your classmates anxious because they weren't able to answer the question. Then, when it's already your turn, you knew what the answer was, and yet you stuttered.


The first time I saw two men who passed by carrying a wrapped dead body 
My arrector pili muscles have gone crazy! It took me time to really get used to this. I mean it.


Ditching sleep to answer those follow-up questions in the laboratory manual
If there's one thing I need to do in order to get good scores for the Q&A portion during experiments, then researching the answers beforehand would really be advisable.


When Algebra class was in Residencia and the next class will be at the Extension rooms. Bad news: It's raining. Then, your shoes got soaked and they broke. 
"Sorry I was late. I had to buy a strong glue, sir."


Meeting my worst fears *sees the frog* 
The worst part of being in a science course is when you face your fears and yet you have to be cool. Thanks to Amphi Anura for the experience but you really scared me the first time we met. (pinangalanan ko talaga ang frog na dinissect namin).


The first moving exam experience 
Yes, the time pressured exam that scares the hell out of you. 
"You're only given ** seconds to answer each item" and literally, the sound of that 'bell' really makes me want to run away.


Not knowing where P.E. class would be since there was still no school gym 
Lucky are the younger years now. Before, we used to have this dilemma.


Long breaks mean study time or simply, "mall" time 
Or maybe both?


"Phenolphthalein endpoint, okay?"; Dark pink solution? Titrate again! 
I could still remember that I am one of the few who leaves the laboratory last because I always end up with a dark pink solution. Patience is a virtue in this kind of experiment or else there is no grade.


Making the best music video for Spanish class to be exempted from the final exam 
"Give your best performance and it's a grade of 1.0 for Spanish! Entiendes?"


Enrollment was always a hassle 
Dilemma of every student during enrollment, wake up or else...


The joy of surviving both written long exams and shading exams 
The are pros and cons for both but at least I could say that I survived those fill in the blanks and those small rectangle shading exams.


My first attempt to venipuncture 
Of course, it was a fail. Anyway, it was a good start.


The first time using a mechanical pipette and I don't have any idea what I was doing 
Okay. This is the worst part about only knowing theory. It's good to know how it works but when you'll be given the actual one. "Seriously, how do you operate this thing?" (Ang mas nakakahiya pa kung nandiyan si instructor nakatingin sa iyo at ang sama ng loob niya sa paggamit mo sa pipette)


Seeing the antique instruments and machines inside the laboratory
Outdated yet still functional. Fascinating!


The first time to operate the microscope (It took me 30 minutes how to use it and 20 minutes to look for the specimen) 
I knew very well the parts but I don't know how to manipulate the whole thing. When I started getting comfortable using it, I can't differentiate the actual organism from the artifact. But the worst part was when I finally saw the organism I was looking for and the class is over.


Those Q&A portions during Parasitology laboratory 
The preceptor looks at the microscope and asks, "Okay. So what are the distinctive characteristics of this parasite? Give me 4." Looks at the preceptor and smiles. "Sorry, sir. I don't know." 


Every time the semester ends and your room is filled with notes, papers, and books
Need more storage, please.


The first time to practice streaking on a plate and ended up plowing the whole plate
"How can you even streak properly and see the strokes you made when you can't totally remove the cover of the Petri dish?" Now, that's history.


The need to be ready for identification and labeling of drawing during Histology and Histopathology class and also the need to bring pink and purple colored pencils
"Where can I buy only pink and purple colored pencils?"


Doing the exhausting tissue processing requirement for Histopathology class
I could still remember how hard it was to mount and clean each slide (Each slide must be squeaky clean, free of fingerprints, and bubble-free)


The need to memorize everything about the urine dipstick 
As a student, you'll be so angry because you'll have to memorize the arrangement of each test, how many seconds before you read its result, its components, and the colors of their positives and their negatives with their corresponding values but during internship and review for board examinations, you'll realize it wasn't a waste after all.


The cramming moments before the exams
This is really not advisable but important for emergency purposes.


The excitement of moving on to internship
Finally, it's not just theory but actually doing the real thing. But don't expect much, your work is still limited but at least you get to see how things are done inside the laboratory. 


Feeling like a Registered Medical Technologist while still an intern
Trying to be professional here.


The feeling of accomplishing the research paper after a year of perseverance, understanding, revisions, and defends
Research paper = Graduation 


The amazing and cool friends you meet who make your journey so colorful 
Without them, it's just plain black and white. 


And last but not the least, COLLEGE GRADUATION!
Nothing beats the feeling of accomplishment.
Medical Technology student signing off, now, BS Medical Technology graduate of Velez College SY 2015-2016 



Copyright: I do not own any of the gifs used in this post. Thank you.

You Might Also Like

9 Comments

  1. Do you need to be really smart to survive med school?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi :) What I noticed in medical school is that you really don't have to be smart. You may have an average IQ but if you really have that determination and that LOVE to become a doctor you'll get there. A lot of challenges may discourage you but always remember the reason why you entered it

      Delete
  2. Hi is this course worth it kahit bachelor's degree pa lang ang natapos? I mean worth it po ba yunng mga possible na job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. Para sa akin worth it siya kasi ginusto ko at interesado ako. May iba kasi akong mga kakilala na nagback-out o hindi na nagpraktis sa propesyon nila dahil 'boring' at 'hindi fulfilling' daw, yung iba ayaw nila na nasa laboratory lang, at yung iba naman napilitan kasi gusto ng kanilang mga magulang.
      Worth it siya pag mahal mo, nag-eenjoy ka kahit nahihirapan ka na sa dami ng dapat pag-aralan, at gusto mo talaga ang trabaho ng isang medical technologist.

      Delete
  3. Hello po, if ever poo anong pinaka advice niyo po sa mga gustong mag Medtech po especially po sakin na sobrang anxious po sa course hehe, dream course ko po kasi ang Medtech.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi aspiring medtech :)

      Ang pinaka-advice ko talaga sa mga katulad mo ay HUWAG NA HUWAG ka talagang panghinaan ng loob at lagi mong tatandaan ang dahilan kung bakit nag-medtech ka. Ito ang advice ko dahil hindi magiging madali ang papasukin mo at may mga panahon talagang susubukin ang kakayahan at pasensya mo. You may not meet the standards as of the moment or fail at some of your exams, always learn from your mistakes. Make these moments your motivation to study harder and achieve success.

      P.S. practice pala ng good study habits at alamin mo din ang mga strengths at weaknesses mo sa pag-aaral

      Good luck, future RMT! Kaya mo yan!

      Delete
    2. Thanks po sa reply haha, medyo gumaan po loob ko haha.

      Delete
  4. hi po ask ko lang dapat po ba magaling ka sa english?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Sa aking opinyon, hindi kailangang "magaling," ang importante ay "marunong" kang mag english. Kung sinabi mo kasing magaling, ibig sabihin "master" o dalubhasa pero pagsinabi mong marunong, ibig sabihin may alam ka. Magagamit mo din kasi siya sa eskwelahan (pagbabasa ng mga libro, pagiintindi sa tinuturo ng mga guro, sa mga exams, at sa paggawa ng thesis mo) at lalo na kung magtatrabaho ka na. Have a nice day, future RMT!

      Delete